Frequently Asked Questions
Question and Answer Page...
Frequently Asked Questions
Biewer Terrier Club of America
"Where Knowledge Leads to Excellence"
BTCA, Inc. Calendar
Listing of events and activities.
Great News! The AKC Board is now allowing All-Breed and FSS Parent Clubs to Host FSS Open Shows. All-breed clubs will be able to host FSS Open Shows, and FSS breed Parent Clubs can hold an FSS Open Show for all FSS (including Miscellaneous Class) breeds. ADDITIONALLY, your dogs will earn points towards a "Certificate of Merit", which is equivalent to the "Championship Title". This title "CM" will be denoted on your registration. Visit the What's New page for the full details on all changes and vital links to forms, applications and information.
We have provided a detailed explanation of the acceptable results for the Wisdom Panel 4.0 test. The new 4.0 has 6 individual tests in which to evaluate the dog, giving us more information to make a better analysis of whether we have a purebred or not. Please visit our "Mars Test Results Explained Page" for a detailed explanation.
The BTCA, Inc., Biewer Terrier Club of America, Inc. has been named the parent club for the Biewer Terrier by the AKC. As the Biewer Terrier is gaining recognition World Wide as a breed of its own, the BTCA continues to assist those countries needing help in obtaining recognition with their respective kennel clubs. You can register your purebred Biewer Terrier with AKC/FSS, UKC and BTRA in the United States. We are looking forward to developing a strong, healthy foundation for the Biewer Terrier. For more information, visit our registry page.
- How can I join the Biewer Terrier Club of America ?
- Where can I find a reputable Biewer Terrier breeder?
- Why doesn't BTRA accept other Biewer registrations?
- Who is the parent club for the Biewer Terrier?
- What can I do, to get my non-BTRA dog registered with BTRA?
- When is the Biewer Terrier going to be fully recognized?
- Do I have to be a member of the BTCA to register my dogs?
- Fill out the On-line application. Once we have reviewed your application, our membership director, Doni Cervantes will then contact you. If we need further information, Doni will send you a questioner. It can take between 2 to 4 weeks for final approval. Depending on the time of year, it may take longer.
- The Biewer Terrier Club of America BTCA, Inc. has many experienced and knowledgeable Breeders. We have put together a Questioner, we believe will be helpful in your search for a purebred Biewer Terrrier.
- BTRA requires all breeding dogs to be DNA profiled for proof of parentage. They accept registrations from other registries on a case by case bases. We answer that question in dept further down. The Biewer Terrier Registry of America refuses to accept registrations from registries that do not DNA profile their breeding dogs, or from registries that accept registrations from registries that do not require DNA profiling. There are many registries that condone the cross breeding of Biewers to Yorkies. Other registries have issued registrations on dogs producing biros and golddusts. There is a simple coat color test that a person can take to make sure their dogs are not carriers of this gene. We are developing the foundation for the Biewer Terrier and it is critical that it is a strong, healthy, foundation and comes as close to our standard as possible. This is why we test all our foundation dogs. We want to make sure that we are breeding the purest, healthiest, happiest dogs possible.
- There is no parent club for the Biewer Terrier at this point as the Biewer Terrier is still in the Foundation Stock Service of the American Kennel Club AKC/FSS. The BTCA, Inc. is the Foundation Stock Service, Affiliated Club. This is a such great time as we work on the foundation and hopefully we can all work together as we move forward.
- We have developed a rather simple process to test your dog and get it registered with BTRA. The instructions are on the Biewer Terrier Registry of America site and here on the Biewer Terrier Registry Page. BTRA is ran by a private firm, knowledgeable in dog registrations and pedigree services. In order to be free of political complications, the BTCA hired an independent firm to maintain all records and pedigrees, and issue registrations on the purebred Biewer Terrier. If your dog passes the required tests, it will be registered with BTRA.
- It can take years for this to happen. First the breed has to move into the miscellaneous group, where it may remain for a couple of years, then into full AKC recognition.
- The Biewer Terrier is fully recognized by the United Kennel Club (UKC) beginning March 2015. You can start showing at all shows and you will receive points and title recognition on your registrations immediately. This is a huge accomplishment as it normally takes years to get to this point.
- No. We will help any one seeking to register their dogs with BTRA, to understand the process, and help them get through it as easily as possible. We are eager to work with new comers to the breed, and those that have been around awhile, as we welcome your expertise in the field also. We all have something to offer and have experienced something that can benefit another breeder or pet owner.